zfec usage on embedded microcontrollers

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Dec 30 14:50:42 UTC 2014

Your project sounds interesting.  In thinking about coding schemes for
radio, it's not immediately clear that zfec would be the right one.
tahoe's need is to recover from some shares assuming whole shares are
available, with nominally uncorrelated loss patterns.  With RF, loss is
more complicated and more correlated.

Particularly for Amateur use, I think it's important to have a written
protocol specification, rather than basing on-the-air protocols on
particular code.  zfec may well be based on a specification, so I would
encourage you to find it (or write it) and then write code for other
platforms.

Actually, my comment about protocol specifications applies to
tahoe-lafs, too.  Right now we seem to be in the situation where the
protocol is defined by how the code behaves.

Greg, N1DAM