report from the Nuts & Bolts party, 2014-08-19 — lots of nuts, lots of bolts

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Tue Aug 19 18:39:05 UTC 2014

.. -*- coding: utf-8-with-signature-unix; fill-column: 73; -*-
.. -*- indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-

LAFS Nuts And Bolts Party, 2014-08-12
=====================================

in attendance: Zooko (scribe), Meskio (IRC), Daira, Zancas, Nathan,
dstufft (IRC), Riastradh (IRC), cypher (IRC)

We're reviewing the second version of meskio's branch
(<https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs/pull/99>) for
(<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2045>).

We made a lot of progress on
(<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2235>)! See
<https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs/pull/103>.

We need more and better-oiled Windows buildbots. Currently
(<https://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot-tahoe-lafs/waterfall?show_events=true>)
we have Dcoder's "Win7-64 py2.6" and Marcus's "Cygwin WinXP", but they
are usually not turned on and connected to the buildmaster. Also,
Zooko says WinXP is obsolete and we should probably not try to support
it at all. Daira disagrees and wants to continue supporting WinXP.

Zooko asked Daira (who is one of the administrators of the
https://Tahoe-LAFS.org mailing lists) to make a new mailing list for
buildbot operators.

Daira wrote a test called "test_create_long_filename" in test_util.py
that exercises (<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2235>).

Zooko wrote several iterations of new entry-level documentation
explaining the `tahoe backup` command, iterating with Riastradh and
cypher: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2280

Meskio commented that `tahoe backup` was too slow, for him, because he
had many small files and it take a bit of time for each file, and he
switched duplicity↔Tahoe (using duplicity's builtin support for a
Tahoe backend, *not* using FUSE and/or SFTP) and it worked well.

We worked on some packaging/build problems, with dstufft's help:
* https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2249
* https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2283

Zooko is really glad that as part of his job at LeastAuthority.com, he
gets to take a break from “CEO stuff” once a week and muck about with
Python packaging bugs and Tahoe documentation tweaks. ☺

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep
https://LeastAuthority.com