[tahoe-dev] tahoe client "crashed" (was: speed issues)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Apr 23 16:23:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
<david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:

> On closer examination of the error message, this might be related to ticket #1636.

Yes, I think this could be seen as related to #1636.

However, what I've seen so far from Eric the Original Poster doesn't
really prove that there is a bug at all (aside from the performance
problem). He says that the tahoe client "crashes", but I interpret
this as an instance of ticket #1048. I.e., the behavior was correct,
but the error-reporting made it appear as an internal error to Eric,
because it included a stack trace and a overzealously-quoted message.

So what should have happened, in accordance with ticket #1048, is
instead of the output Eric saw (see his original message), he should
have seen:

"""
eric at io:/srv/per-user/eric$ tahoe backup backup-T61p/ tahoe:
Upload failed.

Failed to achieve required level of happiness. Shares could be placed
on only 12 server(s) such that any 5 of them have enough shares to
recover the file, but we were asked to place shares on at least 13
such servers.

Among all servers that failed to accept a share in this upload, the
most recent one that failed to accept a share did so for this reason:

Connection was lost (to tubid=aty4) (during method=RIBucketWriter:write)
"""

That would have been a better way to report the same data that his
tahoe backup reported.

See also #1596.

Regards,

Zooko

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1048# Expected
exceptions should not include tracebacks
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1596# more specific
error message for the case where too few servers are connected