[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #999: amazon s3 backend

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Tue Mar 16 18:27:10 PDT 2010

tahoe-lafs wrote:
> #999: amazon s3 backend
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  zooko         |           Owner:
>      Type:  enhancement   |          Status:  new
>  (originally I incorrectly posted this to #917)
>
>  The way to do it is to make a variant of
>  [source:src/allmydata/storage/server.py] which doesn't read from local
>  disk in its [source:src/allmydata/storage/server.py at 4164#L359
>  _iter_share_files()], but instead reads the files from its S3 bucket (it
>  is an S3 client and a Tahoe-LAFS storage server). Likewise variants of
>  [source:src/allmydata/storage/shares.py at 3762 storage/shares.py],
>  [source:src/allmydata/storage/immutable.py at 3871#L39 storage/immutable.py],
>  and [source:src/allmydata/storage/mutable.py at 3815#L34 storage/mutable.py]
>  which write their data out to S3 instead of to their local filesystem.
>
>  Probably one should first start by abstracting out just the "does this go
>  to local disk, S3, Rackspace Cloudfiles, etc" part from all the other
>  functionality in those four files...  :-)
>
>  See [http://allmydata.org/~zooko/RAIC.png the RAIC diagram].

BTW, this diagram (and the similar diagram on the allmydata.org home page)
shows the web gateway as only having an HTTP(S) server on the client side.
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but it really has separate HTTP(S), SFTP and FTP
servers, when they are each enabled. (SFTP and FTP have nothing to do with
each other.)