[tahoe-dev] benchmarking

Thomas Delaet thomas at delaet.org
Wed Sep 23 01:17:27 PDT 2009

Hi Francois

>>- One of the fuse filesystems in contrib/
>
> IIRC the one which currently works the best is impl_c.

That is the only one I got up and running with a few modifications ... ;-)

>>- The sftpd frontend together with the fuse-based sshfs
>>- The ftpd frontend together with the fuse-based curlftpfs
>
> You probably won't notice a big performance  difference between these two because there're using the same interface to tahoe. Well, except perhaps a little overhead incurred by the additional crypto stuff used for sftp.
>
> Please note though that your benchmark will certainly lead to bad results for certain POSIX operations like seek(). Tahoe doesn't currently support seeking through immutable files without first downloading the content of the file until the position you're seeking to.
>
> You'll probably be better by using tahoe as an HTTP-accessible distributed filesystem similar to Amazon S3 than as a standard POSIX filesystem to you can mount on your machine.
>
> Obviously you can also use any other frontends such as the standard CLI or those listed on the wiki.

I use the Postmark benchmark, which needs a POSIX interface, so I have
no other option in that area. In my project, I also test the Wuala
system and their interface uses a local cache to improve performance.
Maybe this is something Tahoe can consider too?

Kind Regards and thanks a lot for your help

Thomas