[tahoe-dev] thinking of moving my klog from the Test Grid to the Volunteer Grid

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 22:42:13 PDT 2009

In case you can't load my klog, here is the most recent entry:

The Tahoe-LAFS Test Grid — the grid that hosts the blog you are now
reading — is having problems. It is composed mostly of servers owned
by allmydata.com and offered as a free service to Tahoe-LAFS hackers
to test out their experiments. Also various people connect their
Tahoe-LAFS nodes to the Test Grid while doing experiments. There is a
publicly writable directory linked from the front page of
http://allmydata.org . There is also a page of measurements of the
test grid: http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/TestGrid .

The Test Grid really isn't the ideal grid to host a blog.
Allmydata.com explicitly stated when they set it up that they might
delete the data or take away the storage servers at any time. It was
strictly for testing.

I've been persisting in hosting my blog on the Tahoe-LAFS Test Grid
partly as an experiment — can a grid that is completely unmaintained
(nobody from allmydata.com has looked at any of the donated servers in
many months) and includes transient servers from anonymous people
still be stable enough to use for my blog? The answer is "barely", and
I'm probably going to end the experiment soon and move my blog to a
reliable grid such as The Volunteer Grid, which is composed of servers
owned and operated by contributors to the Tahoe-LAFS project. :-)