[tahoe-dev] Newbie help

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Mon Sep 14 05:27:35 PDT 2009

I don't have a lot of familiarity with the CLI tool, except to say that it is
the right tool for what you're trying to do, at least for now.  I'm working
on another backup tool which I think is much better, but I'm not ready to
recommend it to others yet, unless your interest is in helping me to create
it rather than to use it.  I'll answer a couple of the questions, though:

> 4. If I want to make sure that I'm storing data securely, do I create my
> SSL keys beforehand and make them known to tahoe, or do I use "tahoe
> create-key-generator"?

You don't need to create any keys to store your data securely.  Tahoe is
secure by default.  When you create directories in Tahoe, you get back a very
long URL that looks something like:

http://localhost:3456/uri/URI%3ADIR2%3Aj2jy73j7p4wmcmpkbnezase36a%3Asr3mbzeqglcpdykyiuaufbsccqnaiipgfcdiqfkomhlndkasjgxa/

Creating the directory creates appropriate keys, and the keys are actually
embedded in the URL, which is why it's so long.  Store that URL somewhere
safe and your data is secure.

> 5. I should be able to cron the CLI command (question 2) to create a backup
> schedule, correct?

Yes.

	Shawn.