[tahoe-dev] Bringing Tahoe ideas to HTTP

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Sep 7 01:15:09 PDT 2009

Fuzzy Hoodie-Monster wrote:

> If the way to summon Beetlejuice is to say his name three times fast,
> everyone within earshot will learn how to summon Beetlejuice every
> time you do it. Understanding that problem should be as easy as
> understanding the concept of the powerful name.

True. Powerful names are usually whispered.

I love this analogy.

> Pretty soon, every kid shopping at Hot Topic will know how to make
> Beetlejuice cross over into the mortal realm, and they'll do it all
> the time, and Beetlejuice is going to get really annoyed. I mean,
> imagine if you had to jump at the whim of every emo kid in every mall!

Yeah, but wouldn't it be great if Alicia the Hot Topic kid could share
her new-found Beetlejuice-summoning ability with her emo pal Bobby all
by herself, just by whispering a secret name in his ear, instead of
appealing to (/me stretches to keep up the analogy) Andrew the Mall
Admin, who manages the ACL table? Since Andrew hates these pesky kids,
and has never met Bobby anyways, it would take forever before Alicia
could get him to update the table. In fact, since Beetlejuice is just a
figment that Alicia dreamed up one day (i.e. a file that A created, and
now wishes to delegate to B), Andrew hasn't heard of Beetlejuice either,
making any update take even longer.

> It would get to be a real pain in the astral.

Hah!

thanks,
 -Brian