[tahoe-dev] tahoe needs funding! (and Zooko is available for work!)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Mar 18 16:01:01 PDT 2009

Dear People Interested in the Tahoe-LAFS project:

Allmydata.com is responsible for the creation of Tahoe.
Allmydata.com was my employer and also Brian Warner's for the last
several years, and the company, under Peter Secor's leadership, asked
me and later Brian, Rob Kinninmont, Mike Booker, Zandr Milewski,
Justin Boreta, and others to spend some of our work hours inventing a
completely new storage platform and to release it to the public as
open source!  This gamble seems to have paid off, as the resulting
open source software now supports all of allmydata.com's customers
securely, reliably, and at low cost.

Now allmydata.com is focussed on serving customers and keeping costs
down.  While the company will continue to fix bugs in tahoe and in
the other open source software that their customers rely on (tahoe-
w32-client, tahoe-iphone-client, tahoe-webdrive, etc.), it will not
continue to fund major new development of tahoe.  The fledgling open
source project is kicked out of the nest and has to learn to fly on
its own.

I'm actually not too worried about the future of Tahoe.  I obviously
love it so much that I'll end up hacking on it, at least evenings and
weekends if not full-time.  Hopefully other folks will get into a
similar groove.  There's actually reason to believe that open source
projects which *don't* have a single major corporate backer can
flourish more than those that do.  If that is true, I guess it is
because people feel more responsibility for contributing to the
project themselves instead of waiting for The Corporation to do it,
and they feel like they have more control over the direction of the
project.  On the other hand, Tahoe could wither and die.  That's life
when you get kicked out of the nest.

Strategically, what I most want for Tahoe is to get a second major
user.  Allmydata.com is a major user -- they rely on Tahoe heavily
and are very good about expressing their needs in the form of
specific trac tickets and use cases and so on.  But we need two
users, so that we don't over-focus development on the needs of one
user.  I think Shawn Willden's backup app might turn out to be the
second major user.

Anyway, I'm looking for new job opportunities!  I love freedom and
open source, high-quality engineering, friendly people, and most of
all I love the idea of making the world a better place than we found
it.  Please write to zooko at zooko.com if you're interested in hiring
me. I answer all e-mail so if you don't get a reply that means your
mail was accidentally deleted as spam so please try again.

Thanks to all of the users and contributors and thanks to
allmydata.com for their generous and public-spirited sponsorship of
Tahoe's inception.

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn
Boulder, Colorado