[tahoe-dev] Windwos installation problems

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jun 11 15:19:15 PDT 2009

Thanks for the report, Black Dew.  I'm going to update the install
docs to more strongly recommend that users use Python 2.5 in
preference to Python 2.6.  I happen to know, for example from the
Windows buildbot that we run -- http://allmydata.org/buildbot/
waterfall -- that mingw can reliably build modules for Python 2.5.

Would you like to contribute a buildbot?  This would entail letting
the Tahoe project run builds on your Windows computer so that we can
track progress of building for Python 2.6 with mingw and/or msvc
(depending on your system configuration).

Now as to your current problem with pycryptopp -- I suppose this is
because the one on the testgrid was built (by me) with mingw.  Maybe
we should try building it with MSVC?  Or, per http://bugs.python.org/
issue3308 , perhaps we just need to remove all uses of 'localtime'?
Uh-oh, grep tells me that there are no instances of 'localtime' in
_pycryptopp.pyd.  Hm.

Any ideas?  Meanwhile, like I said, I'm going to change http://
allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/install.html to guide people to
install Python 2.5 and not Python 2.6.

Regards,

Zooko