[tahoe-dev] who uses Tahoe-LAFS for what? Re: [tahoe-lafs] #734: Tahoe CLI with unicode patches applied fails when stdout is redirected

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Aug 9 13:47:27 PDT 2009

The question of who is actually using Tahoe-LAFS for what is an
interesting question.  Lots of people are using the version of Tahoe-
LAFS that comes built in to the allmydata.com Windows client and web
site (I guess that is Tahoe-LAFS v1.3 client, pointing at the
allmydata.com grid).  I use current trunk, pointing at the Test Grid,
for my blog.  I also store movies and a few large files on the Test
Grid.  There are probably lots of other users of Tahoe-LAFS for
different purposes that I'm not aware of.  I remember that the CCC
Dortmund said they were happy with it:

http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-May/001723.html

There are probably some people who are reading this and using Tahoe-
LAFS happily but who won't get around to replying and describing how
they use it (slackers!).  There are probably also people who are
using Tahoe-LAFS happily but who won't even see this message.

Note: I don't know if any of the people I've described so far are
trying to use it in the way that you are, Andrej -- using current
Tahoe-LAFS pointing at the allmydata.com commercial grid for backup.

On Saturday,2009-08-08, at 21:08 , Andrej Falout wrote:

> Between this SQLite issue, broken Unicode functionality and client
> disconnecting every few hours and then getting stuck, it seems to
> me that Tahoe is unusable for any practical purpose?

By the way, ticket #782 is awaiting your input.  Did you see the mail
that was supposed to be generated by trac when I opened that ticket?
There, I just assigned #629 to you, too.  :-)

Regards,

Zooko

tickets mentioned in this message:
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/782 # connection lost during