[tahoe-dev] SHA-1 broken!

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Apr 29 15:56:34 PDT 2009

Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> The people who are suffering from the
> collisions in MD5 and SHA-1 are suffering, not because MD5 or SHA-1
> were suddenly revealed to be insecure, but because they ignored the
> warning messages from cryptographers for many years.  (I'm a tad
> irritated about this, since "I tried to tell them" [5] and "They
> wouldn't listen!" [6].)

This is why no attention should be paid to non-cryptographers attempting
to pour scorn on the feasibility of attacks (as in the case of [6]),
even, and perhaps especially, when said non-cryptographers are widely
respected for other reasons.

(The same point applies to other fields of similar complexity and
subtlety to cryptography.)

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥