[tahoe-dev] Tahoe and restricting uploads

Benjamin R Welton benjamin.r.welton at wmich.edu
Wed Oct 8 11:32:03 PDT 2008

Thanks for the quick responses Brian and Zooko.

The project that i am doing is building a decentralized and highly redundant  server system for storing and sharing various types of sensor data (satellite remote sensing data, ground sensors, ect) in a way that makes it accessible to any Open Geospatial Consortium Sensor Observation Service (OGC SOS) compliant client using any server on the network. What im essentially trying to do is have a system so that no matter what OGC SOS server that the user is connected to the user can download datasets and metadata information that was posted by any other servers in the Tahoe cluster. Currently you would have to disconnect and go to a different server to get a dataset from a different organization (The user might not even be able to do this since they may not know that another party has relevant sensor data). Using tahoe would allow me to do Metadata information and file sharing between the various participating servers with (seemingly) very little hassle.

The reason for needing authentication with this system is pretty obvious (allowing random people to put whatever they want onto the storage nodes would be a disaster waiting to happen). Using a web proxy (well in my case im just going to let my experimental SOS take care of the authentication and handle all of the request to/from the tahoe node) is probably the best route for me to go because of its relative ease of implementation (my research internship ends soon, and my project needs to be presented in 6 weeks. So doing a modification to tahoe's source in this short of a time frame is most likely out of the question for now).

I am wondering though if there has been any discussion on using OpenID as a means of authentication in Tahoe? I know that a while back there was some discussion about maybe adding OpenID into Twisted and im wondering if that idea has been kicked around the tahoe community at all.

Ben