[tahoe-dev] Tahoe backend for duplicity

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Fri Nov 28 13:52:51 PST 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:30:36 -0500
Micah Anderson <micah at riseup.net> wrote:

> One thing that was brought to mind was that the traditional way of
> doing bandwidth limiting with duplicity is to pass something like
> '--scp-command "scp -l 256"... using the tahoe backend in duplicity I
> imagine that specifying a scp command isn't going to do anything. Is
> there anyway to limit the bandwidth usage?

Alas, no. http://allmydtata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/224 is about
bandwidth management.. we need controls for both inbound and outbound.
It will require some support from our Foolscap network library:
http://foolscap.lothar.com/trac/ticket/41 is about this one.

I've run applications under 'trickle' before, which is a ptrace-based
userspace bandwidth limiter (I think it just stalls certain systems
calls when it observes the traffic rate going above some level). That
might be enough for this job.. just run your local Tahoe node under
trickled.

cheers,
 -Brian