[tahoe-dev] protocol versioning (v2, as it were)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Nov 21 07:15:52 PST 2008

Brian:

Excellent write-up of the versioning plan.  One question I have was:
what's that part about corrupting files?

> So v1.2.0 clients (which do not call get_version()) will blindly
> upload their
> shares regardless of size (and might get an error, or might get
> corruption).

Maybe you're referring to the bug that was in tahoe v1.0.0 if you
tried to upload a file larger than 12 GiB?

It's issue #3 in known_issues.txt:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/docs/known_issues.txt?rev=2788

I don't see how v1.2.0 clients could get corruption though -- current
and future storage servers will give a clean error if they can't
handle the size of file being uploaded.

Regards,

Zooko