[tahoe-dev] sun announces celeste

Drew Perttula drewp at bigasterisk.com
Fri Jul 11 01:10:03 PDT 2008

So who's got a review of http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/celeste/
in terms I can understand? :)

 From skimming their pdf (!) installation guide, I see the following:
- written in java, of course
- user/password logins as parameters to GET queries (not http auth)
- some ACL thing with "namespaces" to group files. I didn't catch how
namespaces relate to directories
- mixed up version of REST: plenty of methods appear as URL components
as well as http verbs; deleting a file is a GET or HEAD request like
http://{server}/delete/{path}?sessionId={id}. A HEAD request can delete
a file?!
- they make a big deal about pluggable erasure coding algorithms. Not
sure how many they actually support, nor how many a user would
realistically want to think about

<soapbox>Their project blog planet thing emits RSS2.0 only. I recently
learned that RSS still sucks because it's underspecified, and ATOM is
well-specified and isn't any more complicated to use. So let's all
please use ATOM for everything. In related news, I'm currently looking
for a good atom server tool where stateless programs can send their
entries and then clients can subscribe to feeds.</soapbox>