[tahoe-dev] some questions, oh and hi :)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Jan 8 15:29:51 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Joshua Teitelbaum wrote:

> First and foremost, hi all.

Hi, Joshua Teitelbaum!

> From my cursory understanding, the VDrive is just an aggregation of
> URI's in a flat file on the user's disk.

Do you know where you got this idea?  It's not true.  There is no
aggregation of URIs anywhere in Tahoe.  (Although it is possible that
users are aggregating URIs.  Hm -- I have three of them in my Firefox
bookmarks, for example.)

Frankly, I don't understand what our code and docs mean when they use
the word "vdrive".  To me, there are directories, there is the
transitive closure of a directory (i.e. a "subtree"), and then there
is the entire set of all extant directories and files (i.e. a
"filesystem").  To me, there is no "vdrive" anywhere in Tahoe,
although in the future a Windows user will be able to access a Tahoe
filesystem through the Windows VFS layer, in which case there will be
a Windows drive (i.e. a Thing With A Drive Letter) which is a
"virtual drive" (i.e. it isn't backed solely by a local device).

Now, the other Tahoe hackers do seem to use "vdrives" to describe
things in Tahoe, and my best guess as to what they mean is "A Tahoe
subtree which is accessed from outside of Tahoe.".  Brian: could you
please post what you mean by "vdrive"?

> Is there any service, could there be any service, that keeps/syncs
> this drive metadata on behalf of the user, so that in the event of
> a local disk crash, the user can go to a service and pick up their
> metadata.

There certainly could be such a service.  The metadata in question
can be as small as the capability to a single directory, provided
that all of the user's stuff is reachable from that directory.
Allmydata.com -- the company that sponsors Tahoe -- will probably
offer a commercial service like this in the future.

Regards,

Zooko