[tahoe-dev] Surprise shares

Francois Deppierraz francois at ctrlaltdel.ch
Tue Dec 9 02:40:38 PST 2008

While playing with a Tahoe storage grid running 1.2.0 storage nodes, a
trunk client and the blackmatch fuse implementation, I possibly did not
follow the "Don't Do That" coordination directive on mutable files.

The result is that now each time I try to create a new dirnode, even an
unlinked one with "tahoe mkdir", it fails with an
UncoordinatedWriteError and the following message gets logged.

  WEIRD they had shares [0] that we didn't know about

I don't really understand what those surprise shares stand for ?

You'll find an excerpt of the incident logfile attached to this mail.

Thanks a lot for you help !

François